This poll has ended.

Alumni give one million dollar gift to support Knox students, faculty

Dan Spaulding 99 & Liz Spaulding 99. Photo courtesy of Knox College
Dan Spaulding ’99 & Liz Spaulding ’99. Photo courtesy of Knox College

Knox is receiving a one million dollar donation from Trustee Dan Spaulding ‘99, and Liz Holmes Spaulding ‘99.

The money will go towards the Knox Fund and supporting faculty advancement. The Knox Fund contributes to everything from financial aid to academic programs to athletics and more, which impacts the entire student body.

“It touches everything, which is why we’re always pushing for the Knox Fund, because that is the most flexible funding for the institution, and it impacts every student. Unlike restricted dollars, which are restricted to either a program or a sport, and those things, and they [the Spauldings] really do not restrict their giving,” Vice President for Advancement Monica Keith said.

This means that the money can fund a variety of projects and programs and will continue to impact the college into the future.

The donation will also support faculty. During their time at Knox, the Spauldings took advantage of many opportunities that were made possible by their professors, so they want to give back to support Knox professors in continuing to develop valuable programs. Keith said that the gift to the Faculty Enhancement Fund could allow for new classes, programs, travel experiences, and more.

President Andrew McGadney has met with many students, faculty, and community members to develop a strategic framework for the future of Knox, and the goals outlined in that framework will be more possible with this gift.

The money is a multi-year gift, meaning that Knox hasn’t received the money in its entirety. The exact length of the process is confidential but will be given over at least three years.

The Spauldings have stayed connected with Knox since graduating. They have served on committees, recruited for the Office of Admissions, and hosted and attended events.

“For them to be one of the lead gifts at this level, they’re hoping will inspire other people to give at any level, but to also think about Knox as an important investment and in a way that they can give back based on everything that they’ve received,” Keith said. “So that’s what I love about this story.”