This poll has ended.

Pillowtalk: Genuine guide to COVID Sex

College promises new friends, new experiences, new opportunities; and, for some, new sexual partners. Of course, COVID has changed everything, and sex is no exception. As soon as mask mandates began popping up over the country, people started to ask the question: is it safe to have sex during COVID-19?

Many people’s first instinct is not to have sex at all, and that’s a safe bet. I also need to note that I am not recommending or condoning sex during COVID-19, but I have a very hard time believing that nobody’s gonna do it. So I looked a little bit further to get you the answers you need to have a safe and healthy college/COVID sex life.

First up: how is the virus transmitted? We know that it is a respiratory illness, so saliva is it’s main form of transmission. Fecal matter (poop) also transmits the virus. The virus has been found in semen, but no one knows if it can pass that way. No evidence so far suggests that it passes through urine, vomit, or vaginal fluids. This means that anything with your mouth or your butt is strictly off limits if you’re worried about COVID: no oral, no anal, no kissing, and definitely no rimming.

The safest person to have sex with is always yourself. Then, your safest sex partner(s) are the people you live with or the people in your “pod”or “bubble.” However, your first year of college might get even weirder if you end up hooking up with your suitemates or roommate. Weigh the damages there. The next best thing to do is to pick one person who doesn’t have sex with anyone else other than you, which is, admittedly, sort of the opposite of the normal college hookup culture narrative.

Once you’ve decided to have sex with someone, discuss COVID risks like you would discuss STIs. When were you last tested, what are you comfortable with, how wide is your social/sexual circle, what kind of protection did you bring, what kinds of activities are you comfortable doing? Again, avoid kissing, and wear condoms, masks, and face shields to protect against fluids. This might look or feel strange, but hopefully you’re comfortable enough to giggle with your partner and enjoy it anyways (or roll with it and roleplay). If you do have totally unprotected sex, you and your partner should get tested as soon as possible afterwards. 

One thing that the virus has made even more important in relationships is communication. You deserve to have safe, healthy sex and to know that your sexual partners are being honest with you. Prioritize this, even more than usual, and especially if you’re having sex with your friends or suitemates. Be so careful. Be so safe. Make informed decisions, and have fun.

Have a question for Elleri? Send it to to http://bit.ly/2LZTHeY or scan our QR code here!