This poll has ended.

From 10 to 15 Hours Per Week: How is Knox Different this Year for Student Workers?

At this year’s commencement, Knox students were informed about changes that were a part of an effort to, “create a campus community where everyone can thrive,” said Vice President of Student Development Dr. Marquita Barker. 

Along with longer Taylor Lounge hours, which allow students to enjoy a study space up till 2am on campus, and plans to revamp the bulletin boards in Seymour, Dr. Barker’s email includes a five hour increase in the total number of hours students can work on campus per week. This means students employed on campus can now work up to 15 hours a week. Students with different jobs will utilize this opportunity differently based on the total number of hours they need to work or are able to depending on their schedules. However, most students appreciate having the option to decide how much they can work.

International students, in particular, appreciated the change because their income is dependent upon on-campus jobs as they cannot work off campus.

“I think having that option is a good improvement. Students don’t have to work 15 hours but they have a chance, especially for international students who are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week legally and can only work on campus. The increased income has allowed me to save up for my study abroad next term,” Peer Career Leader Anokhi Molligoda said.

On the other hand, some students are happy that the college has allowed students the chance to raise their income, but they do not utilize the total 15 hours, simply because they do not have the time amidst their other responsibilities.

“It’s good for the people who need it. I don’t have the time to go up to 15 hours but I know a lot of people working multiple jobs,” Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) Writing Tutor Nathan Hill said.

Nevertheless, the new school year has brought a key change that has allowed Knox students to control their finances and have more choices in managing their schedules. According to a study in the Journal of College Student Retention there is a positive correlation between working 10-19 hours and a higher grade-point average (GPA), suggesting that working 10-19 hours allows students to gain “discipline and appreciation for the value of an education.”

CTL, which is a campus resource that offers support for students who are academically struggling by hiring and training tutors skilled in a range of different subjects, has also welcomed the change, as it allows “flexibility for tutors who work multiple jobs,” according to Associate Director of CTL Kelly Wallenfelsz.

This flexibility helps tutors not only organize their time better but also help more students. Whether utilizing the increased hours or not, students look forward to the new changes meant to make Knox a more welcoming community where they can grow.