This poll has ended.

Knox College TKE Chapter Reinstated

Knox College TKE Chapter Reinstated

The Knox College faculty has voted 45-9 to approve the Student Experience Committee (SEC)’s motion to reinstate the Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) Chapter on Jan. 8, which was suspended on May 31, 2023.

Thee suspension, which followed the March 8 student protest against sexual assault on the Knox campus in the aftermath of TKE’s party ‘Delusions,’ had no “single cause” according to an email sent by Vice President for Student Development Dr. MarQuita Barker.

The Student Experience Committee highlighted that the suspension was initiated by the National Chapter and not the college, and the faculty vote to reinstate the fraternity is only a formality and not an adjudication of the TKE party and the protest that followed.

Barker reiterated before the faculty on Jan. 8 that the suspension had several reasons including low membership, inability to manage chapter operations and violation of the chapter policy “by not following the event registration process for a party held in the spring.”

Barker, as well as the SEC, felt that the fraternity had gone through information sessions with their advisors, required by the National Chapter, had participated in mandatory training sessions provided by the college about being active bystanders, and had undergone other education sanctions.