Student Senate pauses bylaw

Club representative attendance not required
Red Engel
A previous Senate meeting that had public comment for students concerned about the bylaw

Student organizations no longer need to send a representative to Senate general assembly meetings.

They would have been required to during spring term 2024, under the bylaw passed Jan. 25. However, the bylaw is currently paused.

Senate president, sophomore Sikandar Mateen said the decision to pause the bylaw at the end of winter term was in response to student feedback.

“There were some concerns that were raised by the student body, which Senate exec thinks should be addressed before going ahead with the bylaws,” Mateen said.

As Julia Maron wrote in a previous article, students gave public comments about how they felt the bylaw was unfair to clubs at the general assembly meeting on Feb. 22. Miscommunication about the bylaw’s requirements and what repercussions would come for clubs who did not comply also sparked opposition.

“As planned, Senate exec will be meeting all clubs on campus to discuss what adjustments need to be made and how it will help our community,” Mateen said.