70° Galesburg
Student Read, Student Written, Student Led Since 1878

The Knox Student

The Knox Student

The Knox Student

Poll

Student Senate recently passed a bylaw requiring a club representative at senate meetings. They have since paused the bylaw. Are you in favor of it?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Examining senate election participation

The number of students voting in the past 3 years for Senate elections (Pareesae Imtiaz)

Only seven percent of the student body voted in the recent senate election. Only a small fraction of students vote in the senate elections every year. The voting trend is decreasing every year.

With only one out of the four positions having multiple candidates, this years vote was not very contentious.

The president Sikander Mateen, vice president Manavi Subba, and treasurer Khalid Bin Abdullah ran unopposed, while Meher Khan and Naysha Jain ran against each other for the secretary position.

Out of the 955 students currently enrolled at Knox, only 61 students voted, which is less than seven percent of the student body. The voting data from former years shows most of the voters to be first-years.

This is in line with senate elections over the past few years too, with only eight percent of the student body voting last year, and 23 percent in the 2021-22 elections.

Voting statistics of last year and this year are very similar, but there was a far more noticeable fall in numbers from 2021-22 to 2022-23.